Saturday 9 October 2010

When enough is enough

Fin had his second birthday a couple of weeks ago. When he first woke up on the morning of his birthday, we gave him a gift to unwrap. It was the first time he was old enough to know what to do with a present. As he slowly unwrapped it piece by piece he gasped with delight and made exclamations of "wow" and "oh amazing". It was a lunch box with some of his favourite cartoon characters on it, he was so amazed and grateful for it, my heart broke at his innocence. He had no idea what was to come and what to expect from everyone else he would see that day, he had no understanding that this was just one of many presents that were to come. I wanted to cacoon him in his delight and gratitude and never let it change. What a shame that we grow up to become so consumerist and life becomes so much about getting the next thing no matter what it is and no matter whether we really "need" it or not.

I've been thinking a lot about our cultural value of consumerism and how that impacts our sense of self, our sense of who God is, how we relate to God and how that compares to the way Jesus suggests we live.

I want to be someone who is grateful for what I've been given and tp delight in that, not constantly looking for what more I can get my hands on.

No comments:

Post a Comment